Malabon City Charter Day is celebrated annually in Malabon City, Metro Manila, Philippines every April 21. The date can be a holiday through executive issuance such as Proclamation No. 366 issued by President Benigno Aquino in 2012.
Cityhood of Malabon City
In post-war years, Malabon developed into one of the important areas in the country with its inclusion to Metro Manila when the latter was created by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 824 that was passed on November 7, 1975. (For the history of Malabon, see Malabon City Founding Anniversary.)
Thus, the push for its conversion to a city gained momentum in the years that followed. It came to fruition when then Federico Sandoval II, representative of the district of Navotas and Malabon, authored House Bill No. 8868.
The bill was submitted to the 11th Congress of the Republic of the Philippines on December 7, 1999. It was approved by Congress on December 16, 1999, with 147 representatives voting favorably for the bill. Then the bill was sent to Senate on December 17, 1999 and received on December 22nd of that year.
Then, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo approved Republic Act No. 9019, otherwise known “An Act Converting the Municipality of Malabon into a Highly Urbanized City to be Known as the City of Malabon,” on March 5, 2001.
A plebiscite was held the following month. In order to ratify the law, the result had to be a simple majority, which was 50% plus one, among 168,000 expected voters. Finally, the law was enacted and Malabon became a city on April 21, 2001. This is the date that the city charter anniversary celebrates every year.
How to reach Malabon City
Malabon City is about 25 kilometers away from Ninoy Aquino International Airport, so traveling there from the airport would take about an hour.
- About Malabon. City Government of Malabon. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Republic Act 9019. Official Gazette. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Malabon at a Glance. Metro News Central. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Presidential Decree No. 824, s. 1975. Official Gazette. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Jerry Botial. Malabon plebiscite on cityhood slated today. The Philipine Star. April 21, 2001. Retrieved April 10, 2023
- Pete Laude. Malabon marks 5th cityhood anniversary. The Philippine Star. April 21, 2006. Retrieved April 10, 2023
- Proclamation No. 366, s. 2012. Official Gazette. Retrieved April 10, 2023.
- House Bill No. 8868, 11th Congress of the Republic. Legislative Digital Resources. Senate of the Philippines. Retrieved April 10, 2023
- Presidential Decree No. 824. Official Gazette. Retrieved April 10, 2023