Calamba Cityhood Anniversary is celebrated in Calamba City, Laguna, Philippines every April 21. The date can be a holiday through proclamations from the Office of the President (such as Proclamation No. 1335 in 2022).
History of Calamba City
The name Calamba may have been derived from a clay pot called kalan-banga or kalamba, a Sanskrit word that referred to a leafy vegetable commonly called kangkong.
It is believed that the city grew from an area now known as Sucol. It was formerly a part of Cabuyao, but gained independence when it ceded on August 28, 1742. It was formally organized as a town in 1770. From then on, it became a hacienda.
Calamba became a city through Republic Act No. 9024, otherwise known as “An Act Converting the Municipality of Calamba, Province of Laguna into a Component City to be Known as the City of Calamba.” The law was approved by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on March 5, 2001. It was ratified through a favorable result in a plebiscite set on April 1, 2001; this is the date that the cityhood anniversary celebrates yearly.
The city is known for many historical spots. It was here that the Filipino national hero Jose Rizal was born on June 19, 1861 and a reconstruction of his birthplace is now known as Rizal Shrine. He was baptized on June 22, 1861 at the St. John the Baptist Church, presently a national historical landmark.
How to reach Calamba City, Laguna
Buses are available to Calamba City, Laguna from Metro Manila.
- Holidays–Calamba City, Laguna. Legislative Resources. Senate of the Philippines. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Saul Pa-a. Fact-checking Calamba’s history. Philippine News Agency. July 12, 2018. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Political History. City Government of Calamba. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Historical Background. City Government of Calamba. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Republic Act No. 9024. Official Gazette. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Cityhood of Calamba. City Government of Calamba. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Rizal Shrine Calamba. National Historical Commission of the Philippines. October 2011. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Jose Rizal 1861-1896 (Calamba Church). National Historical Commission of the Philippines. July 2021. Retrieved April 7, 2023
- Pabinyagan ng Simbahan Katoliko ng Kalamba. National Historical Commission of the Philippines. October 2011. Retrieved April 7, 2023
Calamba Cityhood Anniversary Summary
Name Calamba Cityhood Anniversary Contact (049) 545-6789 loc. 8000 (Operator), (049) 545 6789 Country Philippines Date April 21 Email email@example.com Facebook www.facebook.com Historical event Conversion of Calamba to a City in 2001 Location Calamba City, Laguna Organizer City Government of Calamba Website calambacity.gov.ph
|Name||Calamba Cityhood Anniversary|
|Contact||(049) 545-6789 loc. 8000 (Operator), (049) 545 6789|
|Historical event||Conversion of Calamba to a City in 2001|
|Location||Calamba City, Laguna|
|Organizer||City Government of Calamba|