Las Piñas Founding and Cityhood Anniversary in Las Piñas, Metro Manila, Philippines every March 26 and March 27.
History of Las Piñas
In the past, it was part of Parañaque that was mostly inhabited by people engaged in fishing and salt-making. Christianity was introduced by Augustinian missionary Fray Diego Cera in 1797 and in 1819, St. Joseph Parish Church was founded. It was during the American period that it was annexed to the province of Rizal and eventually, it became an independent town by seceding from Parañaque through Act No. 1625 that was approved on March 27, 1907.
It joined other towns and cities to make up Metro Manila when the latter was created through Presidential Decree No. 824 that was signed on November 7, 1975.
Las Piñas’ status was elevated by virtue of Republic Act No. 8251, otherwise known as An Act Converting the Municipality of Las Piñas into a Highly-Urbanized City to be Known as the City of Las Piñas. It was approved by President Fidel V. Ramos on February 12, 1997 and ratified through a plebiscite on March 26, 1997 of the same year. This is the date that the Cityhood Anniversary remembers annually.
Las Piñas Founding and Cityhood Anniversary Activities
In 2022 news report, the city observed its cityhood in March 26 and its founding anniversary the next day. Part of the observance of these twin celebration were the jobs fair and an exhibit that showed the history of the city through the visual arts medium.
How to reach Las Piñas City
Las Piñas City is about 10 kilometers from Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
- Jean Fernando. Las Piñas celebrates 25th cityhood and 115th founding anniversary. March 25, 2022. Retrieved March 22, 2023
- Presidential Decree No. 824, s. 1975. Official Gazette. Retrieved February 26, 2023
- About Las Piñas. City Government of Las Piñas. Retrieved March 22, 2023
- Republic Act No. 9451. Chan Robles. Retrieved March 22, 2023
- Act No. 1625. Senate of the Philippines. Retrieved March 22, 2023
- Historical Milestone. City Government of Las Piñas. Retrieved March 22, 2023
- Act No. 137, June 11, 1901. Supreme Court of the Philippines E-Library. Retrieved March 22, 2023
Las Piñas Founding and Cityhood Anniversary Summary
Name Las Piñas Founding and Cityhood Anniversary Celebration Cityhood, Founding anniversary Country Philippines Date March 26 Email email@example.com Facebook www.facebook.com Historical event Founding of the town of Las Piñas in 1907 and its conversion to a city in 1997 Location Las Piñas, Metro Manila Organizer City Government of Las Piñas Website www.laspinascity.gov.ph
|Name||Las Piñas Founding and Cityhood Anniversary|
|Celebration||Cityhood, Founding anniversary|
|Historical event||Founding of the town of Las Piñas in 1907 and its conversion to a city in 1997|
|Location||Las Piñas, Metro Manila|
|Organizer||City Government of Las Piñas|