Sta. Cruz Day, also called Sta. Cruz Founding Anniversary, is an annual commemoration of the creation of the municipality of Sta. Cruz, Marinduque, Philippines every May 3. It is also the feast of the Holy Cruz
The date is a special working holiday in the town by virtue of Republic Act No. 11376 signed into law by President Rodrigo Duterte on August 22, 2019.
The town also celebrates the Ati-Atihan festival every January.
History of Sta. Cruz
Sta. Cruz was formerly called Napo before the beginning of the Spanish colonial period. When the first Christian missionaries of the Franciscan order put up a church in the 16th century, it was called San Juan de Marinduque. Its church was a visita (chapel-at-ease) of the nearby Boac until it was established as an independent parish starting in 1609.
The Franciscans soon withdrew because they lacked priests for their mission, and the Jesuits took over in the next century. It was around this time that it was renamed Sta. Cruz de Napo or simply Sta. Cruz.
Its Spanish colonial stone church was built in 1714.
The town was organized in the 1790. It is the largest municipality in Marinduque, occupying at least a third of the province’s total land area.
How to reach Sta. Cruz, Marinduque
Sta. Cruz is accessible through its seaport in Buyabod Port. Alternatively, you can also book a flight to Marinduque Airport.
- REPUBLIC ACT NO. 11376. Official Gazette. Retrieved May 5, 2023
- Sta. Cruz Executive Summary. Commission on Audit. Retrieved May 6, 2023
- Rex Emmanuel Asuncion. Cultural Mapping of the Island of Marinduque, Philippines: Basis for Arts Conservancy and Humanities Indigenization in Education. International Journal of Arts, Sciences and Education. Volume 3 Issue 4. October 2022. Retrieved May 6, 2023
- Message of President Aquino to the Municipality of Sta. Cruz, Marinduque on the occasion of their Annual Town Fiesta, May 1, 2014. Official Gazette. Retrieved May 6, 2023
- Events. Provincial Government of Marinduque. Retrieved May 6, 2023
Sta. Cruz Day Summary
Name Sta. Cruz Day Celebration Founding Anniversary, Religion Church Holy Cross Parish Church Contact (042) 321-1276 Country Philippines Date May 3 Historical event Founding Anniversary Location Sta. Cruz, Marinduque Organizer Municipal Government of Sta. Cruz Simultaneous event Religious feast of Holy Cross
|Name||Sta. Cruz Day|
|Celebration||Founding Anniversary, Religion|
|Church||Holy Cross Parish Church|
|Historical event||Founding Anniversary|
|Location||Sta. Cruz, Marinduque|
|Organizer||Municipal Government of Sta. Cruz|
|Simultaneous event||Religious feast of Holy Cross|