History of Mangga Festival
Mangga Festival was first mounted in 2012 within the term of barangay chief Nonilon Monares Jr., and it was conducted in the month of June. Its schedule changed to the month of May.
Kalunasan used to belong to Guadalupe, so for years its harvest of the fruit was referred to as Mangga sa Guadalupe (Guadalupe mangoes). The village has since ceded as its own independent barangay unit beginning in 1935. And the fest has become a platform to mark the brand of the mangoes it produced as Mangga sa Kalunasan (Kalunasan Mangoes).
Another thrust is to acknowledge the work and contribution of farmers.
Mangga Festival Activities
Of the many activities in store in Mangga Festival, three highlights remain. These are participated by component sitio (suburbs). There is a search for Mangga Festival Queen, a beauty pageant. Major events also include festival dance competition and street dance competitions.
How to reach Kalunasan, Cebu City
Kalunasan is an upland, landlocked territory in Cebu City. It is about 20 kilometers away (about an hour-long trip) from Mactan International Airport.
- Marigold Lebumfacil. Kalunasan launches “Mangga Festival.” The Freeman. June 3, 2012. Retrieved December 20, 2022
- Kalunasan marks founding with mango fest, dancing. SunStar Cebu through PressReader. June 13, 2012. Retrieved December 20, 2022
- Smart joins Mangga Festival celebration in Cebu City. Smart. June 8, 2022. Retrieved December 20, 2022
- Joel Locsin. Mango festival marks Cebu barangay’s anniversary. GMA News Online. May 28, 2015. Retrieved December 20, 2022
- Faith V. Leceña, Marjorie D. Padin, Julie Ann V. Pantallano ug Joanna Marie A. Tejas. Super Pista: Mangga Festival Sa Kalunasan. SunStar Cebu. May 29, 2015. Retrieved December 20, 2022