Pahuyuan Festival is a founding anniversary celebration held in the province of Batanes, Philippines every June 26. A week-long festivity, activities start in the 20th of June.
History of Pahuyuan Festival
Pahuyuan Festival comes from the word pahuyuan, which in Ivatan language translates to unity within the community or bayanihan. It is derived from the custom among Ivatans in lending a hand in a community project such as house-building or farming. A province-wide observance, it recalls the history and the founding of Batanes.
Batanes is the northernmost province of the Philippines. It is made up of six localities spread across multiple islands and the home to the Ivatans, the indigenous people who settled in the islands before the coming of the Spaniards.
During the Spanish conquest, Batanes was one of the places in the country that was conquered last. People in Batanes were free from the colonial control until June 26, 1783, which is the date upon which the festival is commemorated as its establishment.
Pahuyuan Festival Schedule of Activities
The schedule of activities of Pahuyuan Festival highlight people’s resilience, the province’s cultural heritage and ethnic customs and traditions of the Ivatans, and a proud showcase of locally made products. One of the biggest events is the annual trade fair where knickknacks, food stuff, handicrafts, novelty items, souvenirs and other miscellaneous products are on display. Cultural parade is also conducted that is participated by different local government units, private entities, and organizations. Other activities include native games competition, music events, public service, and fireworks display.
How to reach Batanes
The most convenient way to reach Batanes is via air transportation, flights mostly originating or flying back to Manila are scheduled in Basco Airport.
- DTI R2 Batanes celebrates the 239th Batanes Foundation Day with the whole of Batanes. Department of Trade and Industry. July 4, 2022. Retrieved August 18, 2022
- Coballes, Jan Karl. 239th Founding Anniversary ng Batanes ipinagdiwang. Philippine Information Agency. June 27, 2022. Retrieved August 18, 2022
- Coballes, Jan Karl. Provincial Agro-Trade Fair muling binuksan sa Batanes. Philippine Information Agency. June 27, 2022. Retrieved August 18, 2022
- DTI R2 holds three trade fairs in June. Department of Trade and Industry. July 8, 2022. Retrieved August 18, 2022
- Datar, Francisco. The Batanes Islands. National Commission for Culture and the Arts. Retrieved August 18, 2022
Pahuyuan Festival Summary
Name Pahuyuan Festival Country Philippines Date June 26 Duration 1 week Indigenous people Ivatans Location Batanes Organizer Provincial Government of Batanes
|Organizer||Provincial Government of Batanes|