Gotad ad Ifugao is a cultural festival and founding anniversary celebration in Ifugao, Philippines that is held every 18th of June annually. A week-long and province-wide affair, it is a fest that is participated by its constituent localities and showcases the proud customs and tradition and indigenous practices of its people. The foundation day is also a special holiday in the province.
History of Gotad ad Ifugao
Gotad ad Ifugao comes from the word gotad, which means big gathering or celebration. It is taken from the language of the distinct ethnolinguistic group called Ifugao, which is also the name of the province. Gotad refers to a phase of uya-oy, a prestige rite that is observed in the elevation of status of a rich family or clan. People gather together, invited or not. It is marked with the consumption of bayah, a local alcoholic beverage, and revelries such as music and dance.
History of Ifugao
Ifugao is surrounded by land and it is part of the Cordillera Administrative Region that also includes Abra, Apayao, Benguet, Kalinga, and Mountain Province. Its people are believed to be migrants from territories belonging to Mountain Province. During over three hundred years of Spanish rule, it mounted resistance against waves of colonizing efforts of the Spaniards and as a result it was never truly conquered. In the American era, it became part of Mt. Province through the passage of Act. No. 1876 of the Philippine Commonwealth in 1908. Its status remained so for the succeeding decades.
Gotad ad Ifugao as a fest commemorates the establishment of Ifugao as a province. It was made possible through the promulgation of Republic Act No. 4695 on June 18, 1966. The law marked the boundaries of Mountain Province and the newly created provinces of Benguet, Ifugao, and Kalinga-Apayao (which further split into Apayao and Kalinga in 1995.)
Moreover Republic Act No. 11101 was enacted in 2018, which declares that the 18th of June every year is going to be known as Ifugao Foundation Day and that the day is a special nonworking holiday in the province of Ifugao.
Gotad ad Ifugao Activities
Most activities are in Lagawe, the capital of the province. There are also other events that are scheduled in other areas. It boasts of sporting events, trade fair, public services, job fair, thanksgiving mass and interfaith service,
cook-fest of indigenous recipes, fashion show, beauty pageant called Search for Bugan ya Wigan di Gotad and showcase of ethnic traditions, sports, games, and skills. It is also marked with a grand parade with colorful floats.
How to reach Ifugao
Buses are available from Manila going to Banaue, Ifugao.
- Lihgawon, Marcelo. PLGU bares activities of Gotad ad Ifugao 2022. Philippine Information Agency. June 8, 2022. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Dulawan, Manuel. Ifugao in a Nutshell. National Commission for Culture and the Arts. Retrieved September 2, 2022
- Republic Act No. 11101. Official Gazette. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Republic Act No. 4695. Supreme Court of the Philippines – Elibrary. Retrieved September 2, 2022
- Acts No. 1876., August 18, 1908. Supreme Court of the Philippines – Elibrary. Retrieved September 2, 2022
- Lihgawon, Marcelo. June 18 is special non-working day in Ifugao. Baguio Herald Express. June 11, 2018. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Gotad Ad Ifugao. City Government of Baguio. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Gotad Ad Ifugao focuses on culture, people and progress. City Government of Baguio. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- 2018 Gotad Ad Ifugao fosters dev’t. anchored on culture and tourism. Baguio Herald Express. June 28, 2018. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Sembrano, Edgar Allan M. Ifugao to ‘purify’ annual Gotad celebration; mass feeding tradition revived. Philippine Daily Inquirer. June 27, 2016. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Robles, Florida. Gotad Ad Kiangan 2022. Philippine Information Agency. June 21, 2022. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Gotad Ad Ifugao. Business World. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Kim, Christine Faye. LOOK: Ifugao celebrates ‘Gotad Ad’ festival 2016. ABS-CBN News. June 21, 2016. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Catajan, Maria Elena. Duterte men grace Ifugao ‘Gotad’. Sunstar. June 18, 2018. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Gotad ad Ifugao marks golden anniversary. Northern Dispatch. Jun 19, 2016. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Jocson, Ellisiah U. Inclusion and Cultural Preservation for the Ifugao People. Journal of Southeast Asian Human Rights, Vol. 2 No. 2. pp. 421-447 December 2018. University of Jember & Indonesian Consortium for Human Rights Lecturers. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- Comanda, Zaldy C. Ritual of the ‘Ammas’ and ‘mumbakis’ start ‘Gotad ad Ifugao’ festival. Manila Bulletin through Pressreader. June 19, 2016. Retrieved September 1, 2022
- ‘Gotad’ of Ifugao cited as cultural heritage. Sunstar. June 19, 2017. Retrieved September 2, 2022
- Ifugao all set for Gotad celebration. Sunstar. June 14, 2016. Retrieved September 2, 2022
- IMPACT: the effects of tourism on culture and the environment in Asia and the Pacific: Sustainable Tourism and the Preservation of the World Heritage site of the Ifugao Rice Terraces, Philippines. UNESCO Office Bangkok and Regional Bureau for Education in Asia and the Pacific , Save the Ifugao Terraces Movement (Philippines). 2008. Retrieved September 2, 2022
- Hagabi (Ifugao Prestige Bench). Leon Gallery Fine Arts and Antiques. Retrieved September 2, 2022
Gotad ad Ifugao Summary
Name Gotad ad Ifugao Celebration Culture, Founding anniversary Country Philippines Date June 18 Duration 1 week Email email@example.com Facebook web.facebook.com Location Ifugao Organizer Provincial Government of Ifugao Website ifugao.gov.ph
|Name||Gotad ad Ifugao|
|Celebration||Culture, Founding anniversary|
|Organizer||Provincial Government of Ifugao|