Guimaras Dragon Fruit Fest is one of the fruit festivals in the Philippines that gives the limelight on the cultivation of dragon fruit (Stenocereus undatus). Held in the province of Guimaras, it is the first fest of dragon fruit ever conducted in Western Visayas when it was launched on September 29 to 30, 2022, a schedule that coincided with the National Tourism Week.
The fest was organized by the provincial government headed by Governor JC Rahman Nava with Agri-Tourism, Farmers, Owners, Operators Association (GATFOOA) as partner in the organizing committee.
The event was conceptualized as part of the initiative for recovery from Covid-19 pandemic. Its aims are to boost the local economy and tourism industry, expand investment opportunities, create jobs, and promote farming, production, and consumption of dragon fruit.
Dragon fruit, a native plant in Mexico and parts of the Americas, was first introduced to the archipelago by the Spaniards in the 16th century.
Activities were held on the grounds of the provincial capitol in San Miguel in the municipality of Jordan, the capital of the province. Included in its schedule were the trade fair where dragon fruits and their derived products were on display, exhibit on various culinary possibilities using the fruit as ingredient, and job fair.
How to reach Guimaras? It can be reached through sea travel from either Iloilo (Iloilo International Airport) and Negros Occidental (through Bacolod Airport). Regular ferry trips are available from Ortiz and Parola, Iloilo. On the other hand, outrigger motorized boats are plying to the town of San Lorenzo from Pulupandan and Valladolid, Negros Occidental.
- Tara. Yap. Dragon fruit festival held in Guimaras. Manila Bulletin. September 30, 2022. Retrieved December 13, 2022
- Lilibeth French. First-ever Guimaras Dragon Fruit Fest to kick off Sept. 29. Philippine Information Agency. September 28, 20022. Retrieved December 13, 2022
- Perla Lena. Dragon Fruit Fest marks Guimas Tourism Month Celebration. Philippine News Agency. September 20, 2022. Retrieved December 13, 2022
- Dragon fruit brings economic benefits to Guimarasnons. Provincial Government of Guimaras. September 27, 2022. Retrieved December 13, 2022
- Guv touts success of first Guimaras Dragon Fruit Fest. Provincial Government of Guimaras. Retrieved December 13, 2022
- ‘UNLEASH THE DRAGONS’: Guimaras mounts first Dragon Fruit Festival. Daily Guardian. September 21, 2022. Retrieved December 13, 2022
- First dragon fruit fest in Western Visayas to be held in Guimaras. Sunstar. September 19, 2022. Retrieved December 13, 2022
- Jocelyn E. Eusebio, Ma. Cecilia S. Alaban. Current status of dragon fruit and its prospects in the Philippines. Dragon Fruit Network. April 24, 2018. Retrieved December 16, 2022
Guimaras Dragon Fruit Fest Summary
Name Guimaras Dragon Fruit Fest Celebration Dragon Fruit, Food, Fruit, Contact (033) 581 2114 Country Philippines Date September 30 Duration 2 days Email email@example.com Established 2022 Facebook web.facebook.com Founder JC Rahman Nava Location Guimaras Organizer Provincial Government of Guimaras, Agri-Tourism, Farmers, Owners, Operators Association Website guimaras.gov.ph
|Name||Guimaras Dragon Fruit Fest|
|Celebration||Dragon Fruit, Food, Fruit,|
|Contact||(033) 581 2114|
|Founder||JC Rahman Nava|
|Organizer||Provincial Government of Guimaras, Agri-Tourism, Farmers, Owners, Operators Association|