Araw ng Davao Occidental, also known as Davao Occidental Day, is the founding anniversary celebrated in Davao Occidental, Philippines every October 28. The day is a special non working holiday in the province by virtue of Republic Act No. 11135 that was signed Rodrigo Duterte on November 9, 2018.
History of Davao Occidental
The entire region derives its name from the mighty Davao River that courses through its lands. Its early settlers were the aboriginal people that included the the Manobos, Mandayas, and Bagobos. It was also historically comprised of an entire province called Davao Province.
Its status changed when it was divided into three provinces by virtue of Republic Act No. 4867, otherwise known as an “An Act Creating the Provinces of Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, and Davao del Norte”, on May 8, 1968.
Davao del Norte was later divided into two provinces, giving birth to Davao del Sur. This was made possible through the passage of Republic Act No. 8470, otherwise known as “An Act Creating the Province of Compostela, Valley from the Province of Davao del Norte, and for other Purposes” that was signed by President Fidel V. Ramos on January 31, 1998.
Davao del Norte was created from the second district of Davao del Sur pursuant to Republic Act No. 10360, otherwise known as “An Act Creating the Province of Davao Occidental,” approved by President Benigno Aquino III on January 14, 2013.
The law was ratified through a plebiscite on October 28 of the same year. This is the basis of the founding anniversary of Davao Occidental every year.
Araw ng Davao Occidental
The local government spearheads the many activities in the observance of Araw ng Davao Occidental such as tourneys, arts, exhibits, and competitions. Its constituent barangays are grouped into clusters, and each cluster’s haul of medals are tallied for their winnings.
How to reach Davao Occidental
The most convenient route is through Davao International Airport.
- Republic Act No. 11135. Legislative Digital Resources. Senate of the Philippines. Retrieved October 1, 2023
- History. Provincial Government of Davao del Sur. Retrieved October 1, 2023
- Davao Occidental. National Economic Development Authority – Region 11. Retrieved October 1, 2023
- Republic Act No. 10360. Official Gazette. Retrieved October 1, 2023
- Republic Act No. 4867. Supreme Court of the Philippines E-Library. Retrieved October 1, 2023
- Republic Act No. 8470. Official Gazette. Retrieved October 1, 2023