Gabii sa Kabilin, also known by its translation A Night of Heritage, is a one-night cultural event held in Metro Cebu, Philippines every May. It is conducted as one of the activities in Cebu that coincides with the celebration of the National Heritage Month. Through the years, it has become one of the most-awaited cultural events in Cebu.
History of Gabii sa Kabilin
Gabii sa Kabilin, inspired by a similar activity held in a number of museums in some countries in Europe, was launched by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. (RAFI) in 2007. Its aim is to inspire Cebuanos and visitors to take the time to visit museums and heritage sites in Metro Cebu. It is also a means to preserve and celebrate Cebu’s identity, culture, and history.
It is generally scheduled every last Friday of May (the Cebu City government declared the last Friday of May in 2012 as Gabii sa Kabilin.) It usually starts at 6:00 in the evening and lasts until 12:00 midnight.
The purchase of a ticket provides access to over a dozen museums, institutions, and spots located in Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City, and Talisay City.
The ticket also gives free bus rides to reach certain sites and allows entry to competitions and activities, such as a free ride in horse-drawn carriage called tartanilya.
In 2020, activities moved online and spread over in the last seven months of the year due to Covid-19 pandemic. Then in 2021, ticket-holders were given exclusive access to virtual events that took place on April 16.
In 2022, as public gatherings were allowed by the government with the loosening of minimum health protocols, Gabii sa Kabilin was held in October 21. In 2023, Gabii sa Kabilin resumed its schedule in May.
Some of the participating institutions are:
- Archdiocesan Museum of Cebu
- Archdiocesan Shrine of San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish
- Archdiocesan Shrine of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
- Basilica Minore del Santo Niño Museum
- Casa Gorordo Museum
- Cebu City Museum
- Fort San Pedro
- Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple
- Museo Parian sa Sugbo – 1730 Jesuit House
- Museo Sugbo
- Palm Grass Cebu The Heritage Hotel
- RAFI – The Kabilin Center
- St. Theresa’s College – Sr. Ma Della Coronel Folklife Museum
- Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum
- University of the Philippines Cebu
- University of San Carlos Museum
- University of San Jose-Recoletos
- University of Southern Philippines Foundation Rizallana Museum
- Liberty Shrine
- Museo de Talisay
- The Heritage Faith Museum
Gabii sa Kabilin Activities
Gabii sa Kabilin activities include lectures, exhibits, food fair, contests, cultural shows, and presentations, family-friendly activities, and guided tours. Its lectures, exhibits, and events cover a wide range of topics such as natural history, culinary history, myths and legends, colonialism, religion, ancient tattoo art, etc.
How to reach Cebu
Book a flight to Mactan International Airport or ferries from different destinations in the Philippines.
- John Sitchon. IN PHOTOS: After 2-year hiatus, Cebuanos celebrate Gabii sa Kabilin once again. Rappler. October 23, 2021. Retrieved April 23, 2023
- Gabii sa Kabilin 2020 goes digital. Cebu Daily News. June 20, 2020. Retrieved April 23, 2023
- Bong Godinez. Visit Cebu’s museums and heritage sites online and for one night only. GMA News Online. April 15, 2021. Retrieved April 23, 2023
- Gabii sa Kabilin Returns on October 21. Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. 2022. Retrieved April 23, 2023
- Doris C. Bongcac, Tweeny M. Malinao. Last Friday of May declared ‘Gabii sa Kabilin’. Philippine Daily Inquirer. May 24, 2012. Retrievd April 27, 2023
Gabii sa Kabilin Summary
Name Gabii sa Kabilin Celebration Culture, Heritage, History, Museum Country Philippines Date May Duration 1 day Email email@example.com Established 2007 Facebook www.facebook.com Founder Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. (RAFI) Location Cebu Organizer Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. (RAFI) Other Names A Night of Heritage Website thekabilincenter.org
|Name||Gabii sa Kabilin|
|Celebration||Culture, Heritage, History, Museum|
|Founder||Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. (RAFI)|
|Organizer||Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. (RAFI)|
|Other Names||A Night of Heritage|