History of Bacoor Cityhood
It is one of the cities in the Philippines with the biggest population, and it is among the top two most populous areas (next to Dasmariñas) in the province of Cavite.
Its cityhood was proposed by representative Lani Mercado-Revilla who authored House Bill No. 4730. The bill was sent to the Senate in 2011. It was approved on third reading in December of that same year.
On April 11, 2012, Benigno Aquino III signed Republic Act No. 101600, otherwise known as “An Act Converting the Municipality of Bacoor in the Province of Cavite into a Component City to be Known as the City of Bacoor”.
The law was ratified by a plebiscite on June 23, 2012. This is the date of the annual Bacoor Cityhood Anniversary.
Additionally, the 23rd of June is a city-wide special non working holiday pursuant to Republic Act No. 10814, known as “An Act Declaring June 23 of Every Year as a Special Non Working Holiday and No Class Day in Schools in the City of Bacoor to Commemorate its Anniversary as a City.”
It lapsed into law on May 13, 2016.
Activities were halted in 2020 and 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic. City-wide events for the anniversary were revived beginning in 2022.
Bacoor Cityhood Anniversary Activities
Bacoor Cityhood Anniversary Activities include “traditional parades, civic and marching band.”
How to reach Bacoor City, Cavite
Public transport is available from Metro Manila.
- Republic Act No. 10814. Supreme Court of the Philippines E-Library. Retrieved September 21, 2023
- Cityhood Anniversary. City Government of Bacoor. Retrieved September 21, 2023
- Ruel Francisco. Bacoor to celebrate 10th Cityhood anniversary. Philippine Information Agency. June 22, 2022. Retrieved September 21, 2023
- House Bill No. 4730, 15th Congress of the Republic. Legislative Digital Resources. Senate of the Philippines. Retrieved September 21, 2023
- House Bill No. 4730. Legislative Digital Resources. Senate of the Philippines. Retrieved September 21, 2023
- Republic Act No. 10160. Official Gazette. Retrieved September 21, 2023